Monday, November 29, 2010

Morning Snow

How can you live in Colorado yet drive like you're from Florida?

As the traffic crept along this morning, I looked at all the SUVs around me and wondered why they weren't acting the part. Thirty miles-an-hour on the highway is not my idea of getting to the church on time.

But I can cut my fellow drivers a sprout. It was the first snow of the driving season; the roads were snow-packed, the lanes were anyone's guess, and it was still snowing. But when I allow myself an extra twenty minutes and I'm still two minutes late to work, I start looking at everyone else. Yes, I'm looking at you, front-wheel-drive Chrysler that insisted on being in the "fast" lane. And you, cute little something undefinable that was the color of pea soup, chugging along like you had a score to settle.

Everyone used their blinkers. Everyone abided by the adequate spacing rule. There was a real sense we were all in it together.

Once we get a couple more snows under our belt, traffic will return to normal. To be honest, I'd rather be two minutes late.

No comments:

Post a Comment