Thursday, November 11, 2010

Gobble, Gobble

We have all kinds of wildlife where we live:  Bears, mountain lions, foxes, deer, elk, rabbits, mice, coyotes...but my absolute favorite are the wild turkeys.

Last Sunday, my wife returned from her run to report she was chased by the turkeys. Two of them flew beside her to flank her on the right. When she turned around, the head turkey had his wings spread wide, chest out proudly, his head bobbing back and forth as he gave pursuit. A small army of turkeys behind him. The turkey meant business. She said it was scary. I doubt it. Chased!? By the turkeys!? I would have given my breakfast had they chased me instead!

So when I read in our weekly work newsletter that November 12th is "Take a Turkey to Work Day", I immediately started thinking of ways to coerce one of the wild turkeys into the car. And then into a harness. Attached to a leash. I thought about using my wife as a bait, but it might be too risky. I would hate for the flock to turn on us as we plucked one out of the pack. I mean, they're already feeling threatened by a woman running on their turf. And who's to say the turkeys would believe my assurances that their turkey friend would be back before dinner?

I haven't figured out how to bring my turkey to work yet, but I still have twenty-four hours. I daydream about me and my turkey posing for pictures (photo op!). Taking my turkey around to all the different departments, making introductions. Explaining my work equipment to my turkey. Working while my turkey takes a nap, in my lap, because our activities have been a lot for a turkey to take in, especially all in one day!

I don't know what work is thinking, but if I do figure out how to bring my turkey to work, there is no way I'm going to put my turkey in one of the freezers. And anyone who would is just sick. I know it's winter, but I don't think the freezer is going to make the turkeys feel more at home.

No comments:

Post a Comment