Sunday, November 28, 2010

Guilty Pleasures

I have something to admit.

I am addicted to teenage dramas.

90210. Pretty Little Liars. 10 Things I Hate About You. Make It or Break It. Anyone But Me.

But none compare to Gossip Girl.

I love Gossip Girl!

What? How? Why?

It's certainly not the story since the writers keep churning out the same plot lines season after season. It's not because it's rich with lesbians, although, I must admit, every time Blair and Serena sit on a bed together I always say, "They should kiss each other!" and it always seems like they could, if only the cameras weren't there. And it's not because I see a younger version of myself in any of the characters. It might come as a surprise, but I never sat at the bar of my father's hotel and ordered one alcoholic beverage after another as a senior in high school. I never owned a burlesque club. I didn't attend a private school where I wore a loose interpretation of the school's uniform. I never had my own driver. I was never on a one-on-one basis with the dean of Columbia. And I never plotted to run someone who had crossed me out of town, but if I could go back and do it again, I would try. Not that anyone crossed me, but knowing the option was there might have changed things.

It's the decadence. The extravagance. The fortress around them that no one can penetrate. The houses, apartments, cars, clothes, vacations, food, beverages, never having to take the subway, all wrapped up in a ridiculous package where the kids are in charge, and the parents are there as a money source. It's the way people come in and try to destroy Serena or Blair and fail because their kind of money always wins. And it could have something to do with Blake Lively's breasts, but I would never admit it.

There is bound to be judgement, I know. But I can't help it. I'm addicted to Gossip Girl. And I'm not ashamed to admit it.

Whatever. You know you love me. Xoxo...Whack-A-Muse.

No comments:

Post a Comment