Saturday, November 27, 2010

Ego Schmego

If egos could power the world, nothing would ever need to be plugged in.

Some people think that because of what they do, or the money they make, or just because they are who they are, they are something special. I don't think there is anything wrong with one recognizing one's talents. We all have specialties we can bring to the table. But that shouldn't be confused with thinking we deserve to be at the table more than someone else.

When it comes to writing, there is an exceptional amount of ego. I have met a few writers who think they are so special that they don't bother to proofread. Or maybe they do proofread but because they are blinded by their ego, they see nothing wrong with their comma spices, misspellings, unintended fragments, and run-on sentences.

I do not write from a place of ego. I write because I have to. Without it, I would suffer. Am I the best writer? Hardly. Is that all right with me? Absolutely. I believe there is room for everyone, and because of that, I don't need to be better than anyone but me.

So then, why blog? Why post it to Facebook? Why do the things that can be construed as egotistical? Because writing is a business. In the same way department stores advertise in newspapers, I advertise by blogging. People need to be attracted to products or they won't sell.

A writer's success has everything to do with connecting to an audience. That is why I do the things I swore I would never do, like blogging. Is it working? If I had an ego, I would think, Yes, it is.

No comments:

Post a Comment