Saturday, November 6, 2010

It's Not About You

I do not make it a habit to buy books from giant chain stores. Today was the first time this year I found myself standing in one. There is no excuse for my being there. I could have waited. Nicolle Wallace's new novel, Eighteen Acres, isn't going anywhere. But I felt an overwhelming urge to have it in my hot, little hand. And I happened to be in the store's neighborhood.

But the experience wasn't a total bust. I met a local author who was there signing books, and he discussed his path to publication with me. It was the highlight of my day. I even bought his book.

When I was checking out, the man assisting me--after turning the author's book round and round between his hands--finally made the connection. "Oh, you're buying the guy who's here's book."

"Yes."

"So, what's it about?

"An African American and a Caucasian forging a friendship during the Vietnam War and how they come out afterwards."

The guy looked at me and said, "Oh, is he the Caucasian?"

I waited for the hint that he was joking: A raised eyebrow, a sideways smile, a chuckle. Nothing.

I say, "It's a work of fiction? But, yes, he was in Vietnam. You write about what you know."

Our discussion ended there.

Here's a little something everyone should know. Writers don't write about the people in their lives, unless it's a memoir. Fiction means it's not based in truth or fact, that it's made-up. While this may not be true for all writers, it is certainly true for me. My characters tell me who they are, not the other way around. I know that may sound strange, but it's true. They surprise me all the time.

So if/when my novel is published, and you know me and read it, know none of the characters are you. While characteristics may match some of your own, I assure you, it's still not you. And I'm not in it either. So don't waste your time trying to figure out which character you are. You'll only miss out on what the real characters are trying to tell you: this is our story.

No comments:

Post a Comment