Friday, December 10, 2010

What's Next?

When I get comfortable with the idea that there couldn't be any weird ingredients or strange processes involved with a certain type of food, I give said food no further consideration. I ask no questions. I ingest it without a second thought.

I'm sorry? What's that you say? Come again? I don't think I heard you correctly. It what now? No. No way. You're mistaken. Pssh...that can't be true. <Waving my hand in the air like I'm swating away a swarm of insects.> What happens before it hits my lips? It goes through what? Egg whites? Fish gills? You're joking. You're telling me that wine goes through a filtration process that involves fish gills or egg whites?

Gross.

I have heard of vegan wine, and no, it's not me saying in a high pitched voice, I'm out of tre-e ba-ark. When is it going to be da-ande-elion season again? Blame it on my own ignorance, but I thought vegan wine simply meant it contained no honey.

Should I have know better? Perhaps. But seriously, when it comes to grapes and sugar, I just never thought there was a place for animal by-products. I'm already "that girl" who asks those questions before ordering in a restaurant--to be clear, I don't give a shit about being that girl--and now I have to ask about the wine too?

Fuck it. I can go my whole life without another glass of wine. In fact, I can go my whole life without another sip of alcohol. But if I find out root beer goes through a similar process, I'm going to slap somebody.

No comments:

Post a Comment