Sunday, December 5, 2010

Blocked

I do a really good job staying positive, especially with my writing. However, I have hit a wall, and thus, I am blocked and have been for several days.

If only I could see a doctor. It does feel like being sick without visible symptoms. There is a pill for restless legs, broken hearts, short eyelashes, and flaccid penises, so why can't I take a pill for writer's block? If I explained that the light bulb of my soul has temporarily burnt out, that it's a struggle just to breathe, that if I were to walk it would be in circles, surely the doctor would have some kind of solution besides me feeling around in the darkness of my mind, trying to find that harmonious place where I belong.

My characters can't help me. They are too busy hiding behind thick, dark redwoods. And unless someone has experienced blockage of their own, there is no making anyone else understand. Writing is a lonely profession. And the struggles that come with it are faced alone.

This isn't the first time I haven't felt myself. It will not be the last. When I think about all the other writers out there who go through the same struggles, I think I just might belong here after all.

No comments:

Post a Comment