Monday, January 10, 2011

15 Minutes

When the weather turns snowy, a local news station sends a few of their minions to various locations around the city. They always send someone up to our area and broadcast on the side of the road.

It snowed overnight, and we were told last night that road conditions would be a concern.

This morning, as my wife and I drove around the bend, making our way down the snow-packed main street, there they were. The van with the call numbers. The news crew on the sidewalk. Camera hoisted onto the cameraman's shoulder. The light was turned on. The female reporter was lit up and pointing at the street.

I couldn't believe it. We were half a mile from being on TV!

A million thoughts raced through my mind. Wave. Smile. Make a face. Say Hi to Mom. Smash my boobs against the window. Pull down my pants and do the same with my butt. Flip the bird. Pick my nose. Kiss my wife. Show one of my tattoos. Roll down the window and whistle the universal you're-a-sexy-lady tune.

But I didn't do anything. I even turned my head when we passed by the camera to say, "We're on TV!" to my wife. She said I should yell something to plug my book. Smart. If only it was published.

It was a "fifteen minute" opportunity and I blew it. However, winter isn't over yet. I will not leave the house again without my JOHN 3:16 sign and face paint!

No comments:

Post a Comment