Sunday, February 6, 2011

Being Moved

There is no greater feeling than to finish reading a book and have the characters stay with you, finding that you think of them throughout the day, wonder about them before you fall asleep. You can't stop thanking them for showing you a different way--different from how you would have gone about it--to get somewhere.

This recently happened to me after reading Anthropology of An American Girl by Hilary Thayer Hamann. She took average, everyday people and made their lives exciting to follow. I couldn't put it down.

These days, if I'm not moved by something--either emotionally, physically or creatively--I don't waste my time on it. It's why I quickly lose interest in most movies and cannot tune into what the Housewives are doing on Jersey Shore.

Last night, I was moved by seven women who showed me a different way to discovery. How does one go about finding one's way out of a notion that the world does not find them valuable? I've not seen the Tyler Perry version of for colored girls who have considered suicide/when the rainbow is enuf. I think Tyler Perry shows us stereotypes instead of people--his movies do not move me. Ntozake Shange, on the other hand, wrote a work that left me clinging. Clinging to the idea that every woman finds her worth and never looks back.

My wife, who graced the stage as the lady in blue, transformed herself into a woman that I cried for, rooted for. And when it was over, and my wife came back to me, I was grateful, knowing that we are two women who will never let another determine our worth and recognize that in each other.

No comments:

Post a Comment