Friday, October 1, 2010

No Never Felt So Good

Since my wife is currently sleeping, I reach out to anyone to share my news. I just received this reply to a query I recently sent out to an agent:

"Thanks for sending me your query for SIMPLY UGLY.  While an interesting idea, I'm afraid that I don't think I would be able to sell your novel in this tough marketplace.  That doesn't mean it isn't saleable, but it does mean I'm not the right agent to try and take it out. I'm sorry I have to pass on requesting more material, but I want to wish you luck in finding a good home for your novel.  Thank you for the opportunity to consider."

To this agent, I would like to say, you have melted my butter and made a batch of hope cookies. You have blown up the balloons in my chest and let go of the string. You have single-handedly built a float for my one-day parade. If I could, I would buy you a Coke. And teach the world to sing. In perfect harmony.

(It should be noted that I do not endorse or promote the ingestion of sodas, especially when they are made with high fructose corn syrup, which the industry is currently trying to change the name to "corn sugar". Do they really thing we're that stupid? Oh, wait...they do.)

While I know this kind of promise is not always a given or guaranteed, I will take this small shred of light and keep it with me, knowing that it will go out. But I will not give up. I will not quit. As the rejections pour in, I will remember that it only takes one yes. You and your friends and your family and your aquantences and your pets and your children and your favorite movie stars will read Simply Ugly one day, even if I have to invite you all to my house and read it to you from the comforts of my own sofa.

Remind me of this tomorrow, when I'm feeling down about my future in the writing world.

1 comment:

  1. Kelcey ... no matter where I am able to read or hear your book, I anxiously await it! Keep your head held up high, as when it is published I will be one of the first to stand in line to purchase it, then ask for your autograph. I will be able to tell everyone ..... Yes I know her and she ahs made a difference in my life!

    ReplyDelete