Tuesday, August 9, 2011

Is it Me?

I peruse a variety of blogs, most of which are wildly more successful than mine. And by wildly successful, I mean hundreds of followers hang on their words. Or at least more than thirty. Others' writing style and topics obviously speak to people.

What the fuck am I doing wrong?

Do I curse too much?

Maybe it's all the politics and personal chitchat I try to pass off as a form of amusement? Is it the gay? Do I share too much? Or, gulp, am I the kind of asshole who thinks there's no way I could be an asshole? I can't forgo what I write about; if I didn't share myself completely I feel like I could no longer call myself a writer.

So how do I appeal to a larger audience? How do I garner interest in my writing and hook more fans for life?

If I had money I could pay people to read. If I was religious I could pray for followers. If I was a butcher I could sacrifice a chicken. As a vegan I suppose I could stab a bag of flour and hurl it off my deck but I don't think that is going to get me anywhere.

I'd say my feelings are hurt but I'd only be saying it to add dramatic flare. My ego as a writer doesn't revolve around how many people follow me. The issue at hand is what if I get published and only twenty-seven people buy my book?

Writing. Career. Over.

Still, I'm grateful for my followers. To the twenty-seven of you out there, know you're exceptional, supremely intelligent. My ego at least knows that much. (Wink.)

4 comments:

  1. So here's the shameless self-promotion part of things. You're writing is certainly good to read, no doubt about that. The tricky part is getting people in front of it. I know you're doing FB promotion of the blog, and Twitter if I remember (I quit twitter, because, well, because). What else? Looked in to getting in to something like a blog bookmark site? Or how about asking some of your favorite bloggers to consider linking to you or (gasp) reviewing your blog and posting a review on their blog? Can't hurt to ask...
    Plus, most comment systems on most blogs allow you to put your URL in when you comment. So one other way to promote is to comment on a lot of other people's posts right after you post a new blog. It can cause the web spiders to com index your new post, and might draw actual humans over (if you've posted some insightful comment on the post they just read)...
    Of course, I don't do any of that, because my blog is mostly a diary for my friends to read...

    ReplyDelete
  2. And suddenly I wish one could edit one's blog comments.... "Your writing" not "You'are writing"..."come index" not "com index"...

    ReplyDelete
  3. GAH! "You're writing" not "You'are writing"..

    ReplyDelete
  4. Josh, can I hire you to manage my PR? Sounds like you know exactly what is what. I could use your vast intelligence in a myriad of ways. Mmmwwwaaahhhaaahhhaaahhhaaahhhaaa...

    ReplyDelete